Ways to do work are merely different…
My preconditions for an efficient workmode
I spend the majority of my time doing deep work and value my focus. This is not compatible with modern society’s interruption culture, which is why I disable most notifications on my devices and keep them silent most of the time.
Ok – have I mastered that for myself ? [check]
Importance and Urgency
Please take a second to think about the best suited channel for contacting me:
- Important and urgent: Call me. If I don’t answer, call again and leave me a voice mail or text me. I don’t return calls unless you ask me to do so.
- Important, not urgent: Email me. As long as your email is not identified as spam, this is the sure-fire way to reach me. I’m practising Inbox Zero almost daily and will usually reply within 1–3 days.
- Urgent, not important: Text me and make sure to include your deadline for a useful response. I’ll either have read and replied by that time, or drop the ball.
- Neither important, nor urgent: Just let it be.
I believe close contact is beneficial compared to light touches. If we can make it work, I’m happy to jump on a short call to discuss a matter. It enables us to use the time available to work deeply on the important things instead of sending messages back and forth for days without any measurable result.
Do not only communicate your behaviour – live it. [check]
Channels of Communication
I currently use the following ways to communicate over distances (most to least preferred):
- Email: mail@ this domain.
- Phone: See imprint. Don’t call anonymously, I won’t pick up.
- Text Messages (SMS) – If you’ve my mobile.
- WhatsApp. If you’ve my mobile. Only if I’ve accepted you already.
Channels I rarely use:
- Messengers and platforms like Threema, Facebook Messenger, Twitter, LinkedIn, XING, …
- Skype or Google Hangout
Channels I never use:
- Other spookie messengers
Can I organize myself similar to this ? – if yes, I’m on a good way. [check]